Approved Procedures of Dental Assistants
The Board has approved performance of the following procedures by dental assistants in South Carolina. No formal academic dental training is required for dental assistants. These procedures must be performed under the direct supervision of a dentist present on the premises and licensed in South Carolina.
(1) Assist in basic supportive chairside procedures.
(2) Chart existing restorations, clinically missing teeth, and appliances within the oral cavity.
(3) Apply topical drugs as prescribed by the dentist.
(4) Place and remove rubber dam.
(5) Place and remove matrix.
(6) Place and remove orthodontic ligatures.
(7) Take and record vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, respiration, etc.).
(8) Expose radiographs upon completion of a Board approved radiation safety course.
(9) Place and remove periodontal packs.
(10) Remove sutures.
Approved Procedures of Expanded Duty Dental Assistants
An Expanded Duty Dental Assistant is a dental assistant who is a graduate of an American Dental Association accredited dental assisting program, or one who has completed two (2) years of continuous full-time employment as a chairside dental assistant. In addition to the procedures listed for dental assistants, Expanded Duty Dental Assistants may perform the following procedures under the direct supervision of a dentist present on the premises and licensed in South Carolina.
(1) Take impressions for study models.
(2) Place and remove socket dressing.
(3) Place gingival retraction cord.
(4) Place temporary restorations.
(5) Cement temporary crowns or bridges.
(6) Remove excess cement from restoration and/or appliances.
(7) Polish restorations and supra-gingival tooth structure.
(8) Application of pit and fissure sealant.
(9) Monitor nitrous oxide anesthesia